Sunday, January 6, 2008

Waiting for the bomb squad

So, tonight at around 6pm I hear an anoying beep in a 3-beep pattern. I think my ears are ringing. Fianlly at 8pm I ask Bryce to check the basement for a beeping noise. Nothing. I stand in the middle of the living room, and follow the beeping outside to the front porch. Ahh, there it is, coming from one of the places across the street. So, I decide to take some sleep-aid so that I will be able to fall asleep, if it is still beeping. Yes, it was. I wake up at midnight, and can still hear it. I lay there, listening, trying to not listen. Then, I hear pounding on the front door. I wake Bryce and say to him," there is still that beeping and now someone is knocking at our door." I was half asleep and could see the reflections of police lights flashing outside the window. More pounding. Bryce gets up. Doorbell and pounding. Bryce gets dressed. (pants and shirt.) i get up and sit at the top of the stairs to listen. Street is barricaded the entire block. Elgin police telling us suspicious trash bag on the curb. (trash is on Tuesday) and to LEAVE THE HOUSE, the bomb squad is coming out! sgt. orders. Bryce says "OK, thanks we've got three little ones to get ready. " Bryce says to me, "we aren't going no where." Phone starts ringing. neighbors calling him and asking if we are leaving. Bryce says, "heck no. " So, we all gather outside in the back and talk about how rediculous it is. Must be a smoke detector with batteries still in it. One family already on their way out, but they only have 1 child. We decide as a group to just stay and move to the back of the houses. So, now an hour later, still no bomb squad, just waiting. never a dull moment around here. Just when you start to get comfy again, excitement! I know the paternal parents are disappointed they weren't here babysitting. ;)
stay tuned after 8 am. to find out the ending. I'll either be back, or I won't. :D

3 comments:

Marlene’s Musings said...

Yikes!!! I am so glad I wasn't there. FREAK OUT

Magnoliawhispers said...

were the kids traumatized by the whole thing? Like did they go back to sleep? Well I guess having a cop for a Dad, they hear and see all kinds of stuff.

Kristen said...

kids never woke up! I told them about it at breakfast!