Monday, March 15, 2010

something new





As we finished up our unit on India, Cavan informed me that he didn't know what a mango looked like or that he had never tasted one. Really? That struck a heartstring in me because, you see, that is something I vividly remember about growing up; my mom was always bringing home very interesting "exotic" fruits. I remember the kumquats. the star fruit. Kiwi. Papaya. So, off to the store I go to get some Mango. I warned the kids that some people don't like it. They thought I was joking. ryan says, "how can anyone NOT like a FRUIT?!" Let the tasting begin. Ryan likes it. Megan likes it. Cavan... hmmm... "not really, it tastes spicy." Then ryan says," it kinda tastes like a carrot." I explained that a lot of people like it better when it is used in recipes.
Next was the fascination with my peeling skin on my legs from a little sunburn I got while in FL. It peeled much more than this picture shows; this was day 1. I think it has finally stopped. I know you're not suppose to peel it, but the curiousity got the best of us and they wanted to see how big of a piece I could get off. And, then they wanted to inspect it. I tried to be really careful about collecting it all and placing in the garbage, but I should vaccuum now.

2 comments:

Marlene’s Musings said...

EEWWWWWWW skin. I remember my sister doing that to my back and I was in so much itch pain afterwards. But that is cool for the kids. Did you look at it under a microscope.
Mango is a little less carroty the more ripe it is, but that's what it reminds me of.
Try giving them ugly fruit. I haven't seen that in awhile.
The only fruit I did not like was papaya. Weird. Can't stand all the little gealatinous black seeds as well as the taste.

Kristen said...

oooh yes! the ugly fruit! i haven't seen it either.